Burnet Texas – The Bluebonnet Capital
The city of Burnet is located an hour away from Austin. Burnet, Texas is known as the Bluebonnet Capital of Texas. Burnet was founded next to Fort Croghan in 1852, when Burnet County was established. Burnet Texas was originally named Hamilton after John Hamilton, who owned a league and labor of land in the area. In August 1852 a post office named Burnet was established in Hamilton, and then In 1858 the name of the town was changed to Burnet. Burnet Texas population began to flourish when the Austin and Northwestern Railroad came to Burnet in April 1882, and Burnet became the railhead for this area and the area further west. In 1892, Burnet declined as a supply point and became a farming and livestock center as the railroad was completed to Llano. Burnet was not officially incorporated until 1933.
For more information see http://burnetchamber.org